Hello and happy Monday everyone! I hope you had a fabulous weekend! Do you remember that amazing grandma I told you about? Well I was able to spend the whole weekend with her:-) Lucky me! We had all sorts of fun — mostly just chatting and cooking, but those are two things that I love so it was a happy weekend for me. Like me, grandma can’t eat gluten so I decided to make her some of my favorite gluten free items. We made pumpkin egg soufflé, pumpkin spice muffins and corn bread — it was a yummy weekend! Grandpa didn’t approve of the pumpkin soufflé (too healthy), but grandma and I were happy with everything… so it was a success in my book:-)
In addition to some baking I made a roasted vegetable and bean quinoa salad! I realized that in my excitement for breakfast quinoa I have never shared a savory quinoa dish. Sorry! Well here is the first of many savory dishes to come!
This is another super easy salad recipe. It is vegetarian and vegan friendly, but is still a great source of protein (quinoa and beans). If you are craving meat you can add some in as well or replace the beans with your meat:-)
To make the salad, roast your vegetables of choice; while they are in the oven cook your quinoa and drain the juice off your beans. When the vegetables are ready, mix all the ingredients together and pour dressing over the salad. Adjust dressing and salt and pepper to your liking. Remember, add ingredients in slowly; it is way easier to add more than to take some away:-)
Roasted Vegetable and Bean Quinoa Salad
1 ½ C quinoa
3 C broth (chicken, vegetable, ect)
1 can black beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 medium head of broccoli
1-2 C grape tomatoes
1 bell pepper
4 oz sliced mushroom
Any vegetable of your choice **
2-3 T lemon juice *
1-2 T olive oil
- Heat oven to 350 F and chop vegetables into small pieces. Roast vegetables for 30-60 minutes. After 30 minutes check every 10 minutes until done.
- While vegetables are roasting boil the broth on high and then add the quinoa. Once it has returned to a boil lower the heat to a simmer and cover pan with a lid. Simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is gone, stir occasionally. Turn off the stove and remove pan from the heat.
- Open the can of beans and pour them into a colander. Run water over the beans until the liquid has drained away.
- After the vegetables have finished roasting, add the beans, vegetables and quinoa to a large bowl and mix all the ingredients together. Add lemon juice and olive oil to a small bowl with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Slowly pour dressing over quinoa salad. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
* Adjust the lemon juice and olive oil ratios to your liking.
** Roast whatever vegetables you want! I listed the specific ones I used to give you an idea, but change whatever you want. Put your own twist on your salad:-)