Most pumpkin recipes only involve using pureed pumpkin, but today I want to take a closer look at pumpkin seeds. Seeds are a fabulous addition to your diet. They fit into almost every way of eating that I can think of: paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan, raw. However, the trick to getting all of the nutrients is to eat them raw. They can be soaked or mashed but once they are roasted, flavored or coated they lose a lot of their nutritional value. I am sure I will continue to roast seeds every once in a while, but whenever you can add raw seeds to your diet — do it!Pumpkin seeds (raw) have a ton of nutritional value. Like other seeds, and nuts, they are a healthy source of Omega-3 fats and protein, but they are also packed with vitamins such as Vitamin B, Magnesium and Zinc. My favorite way to add some raw seeds into my diet is by adding them to a salad. My salad yesterday started with a bed of greens (my favorite is red leaf lettuce) and then I added my toppings. I started with my diced tomato and avocado; it is rare when I don’t add those two to my salad. I also like having a little fruit in my salad so I diced up an apple and threw that on top as well. Then I sautéed my onions and cooked my chicken (after cutting it into small pieces) in a little lime juice, white wine vinegar, cilantro, salt and pepper. It had a very strong flavor, but mixed in with the salad it acted as the dressing as well. My last step was to mix in my pumpkin seeds and toss it with a little salt. It was really good. My only regret was not having more:-)
Pumpkin Seed Chicken Apple Salad (serves 1)
Lettuce or greens of your choice
1 tomato, diced
½ avocado, diced
½ onion, diced
¼ – ½ C pumpkin seeds
1 apple, diced
1-2 chicken pieces, cooked to your liking *
- Cut or tear enough lettuce to form the bed of your salad.
- Place chicken and onion into a pan and cook to your liking (this will sauté the onions at the same time).
- When chicken is cooked add all your toppings to your bed of greens: tomato, avocado, onion, chicken, apple and pumpkin seeds.
- Dress lightly. I prefer a little citrus juice and salt.
* If you want an idea for your chicken I describe what I did above or you can look at some of the other chicken recipes we have featured.Get ready for tomorrow. We’re having a savory pumpkin dish. You’ll have to wait to find out what!