Let’s face it. Mini muffins are so much cuter than normal muffins. They are also harder to resist. Why is that? Why would making something smaller make us want to eat them more? I am really not sure, but I know it is true. Well I know it is true for me:-)I have always had a weakness for carbs, baked goods and especially muffins. Finding more gluten-free, healthy baked goods is always a happy occasion in my life. So yesterday I set out to add another one to my list. I had an old pumpkin banana bread recipe that I used to love and I made it gluten-free and then did some tweakings to make it a little healthier: lower the oil, lower and replace sugar with agave and play around with the spices.I was able to cut the sugar back because the bananas add some sugar as well. I only used two bananas. If you want to make them a little sweeter or if you want to lower the amount of agave you use you can try three bananas.I love the way pumpkin and banana mix together. It is such a nice variation from the purely pumpkin treat. Another variation you could try would be to add some nuts to the muffins as well. I would suggest walnuts or pecans as the best nut option, but I would love to hear about any other combinations you might try!
Pumpkin Banana Muffins (48 mini muffins)
4 C GF flour
1 t xanthan gum
4 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
4 t ground cinnamon
1 t ground ginger
1 t nutmeg
½ t salt
15 oz. pumpkin
2 T vanilla
1 C agave
2-3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
½ C olive oil
- Heat oven to 350 F and lightly oil mini muffin tin.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl: flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl: pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, agave, bananas and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry bowl and mix thoroughly until all the dry powder has mixed in and there are no chunks left. You can do this by hand or with a mixer.
- Using a spoon, scoop the batter into the mini muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick in and have it come out clean.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes before transferring out of the muffin tins.